Something Besides Bars
Safety Tips for www.somethingbesidesbars.org
Meeting people online can be a very good way to make new friends, especially those that share common interests. However, there is some element of risk involved with meeting people online.
We have put together these safety tips to use when meeting people online:
- Be aware that we do not verify the identity of other users nor do we perform any background checks on other users.
- Be aware that other users may give false or misleading information about themselves.
- Never use a username or email address that identifies your last name.
- When chatting or emailing with other users, be careful not to give out any personal information, such as last name, address, place of employment, etc.
- The same goes for any posts you make to public areas of web sites.
- It is best to get a free email account (Yahoo, Google, etc.) that you use exclusively for meeting people online. You can easily close out that free email account if need be. Never use an employer's email account.
- When meeting someone for the first time, it is best to bring a friend with you if possible. If this is not possible, call and give a friend all details about who, when, and where you are meeting.
- Always meet during daylight, in a very public area that will have lots of other people around.
- If the person is not what they described themselves as, politely leave.
- Never get in a car (or other vehicle) with someone you have just met.
- Never let anyone in your car (or other vehicle) who you have just met.
- Never go home with someone you have just met.
- Never let someone you have just met into your home.
- Carry a sports whistle with you and blow it to attract attention if need be.
- Carry a mobile/cell phone with you so you can call for help if needed. If you do not have a mobile phone, consider getting one especially if you are meeting people online.
DISCLAIMER: YOUR CONTACT WITH OTHER USERS IS COMPLETELY AT YOUR OWN RISK -- THIS WEB SITE ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY IN THESE MATTERS.
Copyright © 2005 by Something Besides Bars. All Rights Reserved.